SWIM TEAM INFO
WHAT IS SWIM TEAM?
- 8 Weeks of action-packed fun for the whole family, early June to early August!
- Swim Meets against teams in our Champlain Valley Swim League (CVSL)
WHY SWIM TEAM?
- Learn a lifelong sport!
- Learn valuable life lessons!
WHY BTC SWIM TEAM?
- Heated pool … No shivering, cranky swimmers!
- Camaraderie & support across all ages (6-18) & skill levels!
- Fun for the adults also … it's a very inclusive atmosphere!
“The coaches, volunteers, and older swimmers foster a close-knit team that creates a sense of belonging. I love that our team takes the time to infuse fun activities like brunch, weekly awards, Friday fun practice with mixed age groups, and special events like movie night.”
The BTC Swim Team provides a competitive swimming team experience in a fun and positive social atmosphere. The team serves swimmers of all abilities ranging from beginner to advanced.
Our team is led by Head coach Marisa Cardin and Assistant coach Tom Buzzell. Our coaches are committed to providing exceptional instruction while promoting good sportsmanship and self-confidence.
Although participating on swim team will improve a child’s ability to swim, the BTC swim program is not designed for children who are looking for swimming lessons; please see the information below on the typical practice groups.
2019 Info Sheets for reference only - 2020 policies subject to change
2019 BTC Swim Team FAQs
2019 BTC Summer Swim Meets 101
2019 Summer Swim Dual Meet Event Order
2019 Home Meet Snack Bar 101
Below, you will find typical practice group guidelines. During the first week of practice, coaches will evaluate swimmers and recommend the appropriate practice for the optimal swim team experience for your swimmer.
- Confident in the water
- Can swim ½ length of the pool unassisted
- Has a desire to be on a competitive team
- 1 lap of freestyle
- 1 lap of backstroke
- 2 laps each of freestyle+ backstroke
- 1 lap each of breaststroke + butterfly
- 2 laps of each stroke
- Ability to handle the practices
Ready for Team?
We can help you figure out the right place for your children, be it on the swim team, or in lessons ... we encourage you to discuss your questions with the coaches - firstname.lastname@example.org.
PROJECTED PRACTICE TIMES
We understand that summer swim team isn't the only thing on family calendars so we want to work with you to find a schedule that best allows your swimmer(s) to feel part of the team while still being able to participate in other interests. It's OK to miss a week or two of swim to go to summer camp .
For practice, swimmers can wear any competitive swimsuit & cap; the BTC Team Swimsuit & Cap are for the meets.
June 8-11, 4:00-5:30pm
- ALL SWIMMERS!
- These practices are designed to allow swimmers to meet the coaching staff, coaches to evaluate swimming strokes, have the team work together, and get to know one another.
- Swimmers should come to practice dressed for non-pool exercises (dryland) and be prepared to swim.
REGULAR SEASON PRACTICES
June 15 - August TBD
Monday – Thursday AM
- 8:00-9:30am Advanced
- 9:30-10:30 Intermediate
- 10:30-11:15 Beginner
- 11-11:30 Junior
Monday and Wednesday PM/TBD
- 5:00-6:30pm Advanced/Intermediate/Beginner
- ONLY for swimmers unable to attend morning session due to camp, job, etc.
- 9:00-10:00am Advanced
- 10:00-11:30am Entire Competitive Team
Practice Cancellation Policy
- Thunderstorms & /or lightning? No practice.
- If it is raining, please bring exercise + casual clothes - we will focus on non-pool activities & exercises.
- If something unexpected happens, we will do our best to provide an update on the status of practice in a timely manner.
iVolunteer Sign Up - Meets
2019 BTC Swim Team Volunteering
All families are required to work volunteer assignments at every meet, all season!
- It takes over 70 people to run a successful home swim meet!
- Each family will select a volunteer task or be assigned a job at each meet, home & away!
- For home meets, each family is expected to contribute to the Home Meet Snack Bar - our ONLY fundraising for the special events & activities!
Typical volunteer assignments
- Timing (use stopwatch to record times)
- Home Meet Snack Bar (team fundraiser)
- 50-50 Raffle (home meets only, sell lots of raffle tickets!)
- Bull Pen (organize swimmers by event, heat, and lane)
- Heat Winner Ribbons (hand out ribbons to each heat winner)
- Runner (bring info to timers, then to scorers)
- Scorer (work with others to tally the scores for each event/total for meet)
- 2019 BTC Swim Team Volunteering
- iVolunteer Sign Up - Meets
Stroke & Turn Officials are needed! Please consider this volunteer role!
- We are in need of additional stroke & turn officials.
- Each team is required to have officials on deck for meets.
- Competitive swimming experience is NOT required.
- A reminder to our current summer officials – you must re-certify every 2 years.
The BTC Swim Team Committee
- This is a volunteer board - please let us know if you are interested in working “behind the scenes” to help us all have a great summer!
- New families welcome - it's a great way to meet everyone, and we could really use the extra help!
Please use the iVolunteer system to select a volunteer role!
Questions about volunteering? Please contact us at email@example.com.
SWIM MEET EXPECTATIONS
Swimmers in the Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced groups are required to attend a minimum of 3 meets per season.
Ideally, swimmers will compete in as many meets as possible, including the CVSL League and VSA State Meets.
BTC Team Swimsuits are not required, but help promote team unity! Most families get one BTC Team Swimsuit & wash it out between the Tues. & Thurs. meets. Swimmers can wear any competitive swimsuits to practices. Silicone BTC Swim Caps are available for $12.
If you are new to summer swim and decide to go all-in, yes you will spend lots of time at meets, family events, and practice drop-offs/pickups, etc., but it's 8 weeks of incredible fun for the swimmers and the families!
Regular Season Meets, June tbd - July tbd
- Tuesdays and Thursdays
- 4:45pm: Arrival for Home Meets
- 5:00pm: Arrival for Away Meets
- 6:00pm: Start Time
- 8:00pm: Approximate End Time
2020 Champlain Valley Swim League Championship Meet
2020 Vermont Swim Association Championship Meet
- Swimmer MUST have participated in 3 meets (can include CVSL Championship)!
- MUST ACHIEVE QUALIFYING TIMES!
- Upper Valley Aquatic Center (UVAC), White River Junction, VT
- White River Junction Hotels - TripAdvisor - White River Junction, or use your favorite hotel booking app
- In prior years, there has been a shuttle between UVAC and nearby hotels + 340 N. Hartford Rd, White River Junction, VT
- VSA 19 Meet Invite/Full Meet Info
Please help the coaches, your swimmer(s), and the entire BTC Swim Team family by carefully reading the following information about how the swim meet entries work and the essential role the swim team families play in preparing for the meets.
Meet Entries 101
This is what coaches have for the 2019 Projected Meet Attendance based on the swimmer info forms 2019 Projected Meet Attendance
If summer plans have changed and your swimmer is either able or unable to participate in a swim meet vs. what is listed on this chart, please let Coach Marisa know ASAP.
The coaches REALLY need your cooperation with proactive communication about any changes in meet attendance - thank you!
2019 SWIM TEAM FEES - REFERENCE ONLY
2020 BTC Swim Team fees coming soon!
Fee includes a 2019 Team T-shirt!
During the lead up to the start of the season, we welcome non-BTC members on the Swim Team! If you will not be joining us as a BTC member this summer, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to connect with our coaches.
|Swimmer is a BTC Member:
||1st Swimmer in family
||2nd Swimmer in family
||3rd Swimmer in family
||4th Swimmer in family
|Swimmer is a BTC Member:
||Fee per Swimmer
PLEASE EMAIL US
|Non-Member 13+year old
||By permission only
|Non-Member 6-12 year old
||By permission only
|Long Course Non-Member*
||By permission only
* Long Course: this is for swimmers who train year-round/practice with their USA Swimming Club in the summer and join BTC for the Meets and some Friday Fun Practices & Brunches.
2019 MESSAGE FROM THE COACHES
Dear BTC Swimmers, Families and Fans,
Wow, we had high expectations going into this past two weeks - Leagues and States. And our swimmers, coaches and parents/relatives blew us away!
First, a thank you to all who made this season possible.
Secondly, all the time and effort our swimmers put into this season paid off with exciting championship finishes.
As a coaching staff, you are always hoping to have a few of your swimmers deliver singular great performances. And we had that happen across our whole team - swimmers stepped up and competed for their teammates; swimmers who don't love swimming the 500 or 200 yd freestyle jumped in and raced; every event that was swum during leagues and states matters, remember a 6-year-olds place and points earn as much as an 18-year-olds.
Our second-place finish in the state of Vermont was a total team effort - at different times during the meet, BTC was as far back as 11th place, and our swimmers just kept swimming!
We sometimes talk about wanting our swimmers to stay in the moment, to not have their head clouded with too many "deep thoughts" and through these last 4 days of competition that is what we sensed - don't overthink it, get in and race! The time drops were remarkable, as impressive as any we have seen over the years. Way to go!
Beyond that and maybe, more importantly, is the pride we all feel when we look down at the turn/finish ends of the pool and see cheering teammates and seeing contented, happy faces at the end of the meet.
With pride, thanks and admiration,
The BTC Coaching Staff
VERMONT SWIM ASSOCIATION CHAMPIONSHIP
August 3 - 4, White River Junction, VT
VSA Times & USA Swimming Registered Swimmers!
- New this year, the VSA Championship meet is an approved New England Swimming meet. This means that results from this meet can be loaded into SWIMS (USA Swimming platform).
- BTC has already paid the $5 fee for EACH swimmer to cover this new feature.
- If you are already a USA Swimming registered swimmer:
- Please check-in with the VSA Meet Director and provide either your USA Swimming ID # or your name with middle initial so VSA can pull up your membership and have your times for this meet loaded into SWIMS.
- If you are considering swimming this winter and want to register with USA Swimming:
BTC Volunteer Needs!
When/Where Do I Need to Arrive?
- Upper Valley Aquatic Center, 100 Arboretum Lane, White River Junction, VT 05001
- BTC Tent will be located behind the UVAC building outside; it's our home base for the meet.
- We now have our BTC warmup times - please review this chart to see when you need to arrive for your session(s).
|#1: August 3
| #2: August 3
|#3: August 3
|#4: August 4
|| 8:20-8:4040 am
|#5: August 4
- Summary Info
- Upper Valley Aquatic Center (UVAC). White River Junction, VT
- Parking at UVAC is $10 per day.
- There is also a free shuttle from the nearby hotels + a stop at the Batterning Barn, 340 N. Hartland Rd.
- BTC Team Setup
- BTC will have a tent in the field behind UVAC - this is our home base for the meet!
- Swimmer Eligibility
- Swimmer must participate in 3 CVSL meets prior to event, can include CVSL Championship.
- Swimmer must achieve qualifying times based on gender and age as of August 3, 2019.
- VSA 2019 Time Standards
- Family Responsibilities
- Families are responsible for the supervision of their swimmers - coaches are focused on getting the next group of swimmers into the pool deck and will NOT be providing supervision for the swimmers hanging out waiting for their events.
- Young swimmers cannot just be dropped off at BTC Tent and be on their own - families need with to be with their young swimmers at all times, except when an event is happening of course .
- Families are expected to buy or borrow a program to know the event order of the session + the events in which swimmer in entered; please be sure to write the events #, heat#, & lane # on swimmer's arm with a sharpie - older swimmers can help.
- Sessions Summary
- Session 1: Saturday morning, 10 & Under.
- Session 2: Saturday midday, 500 yard freestyle..
- Session 3: Saturday afternoon, 11 & Over.
- Session 4: Sunday morning, 10 & Under.
- Session 5: Sunday afternoon, 11 & Over.
Entries & Participation
- We CANNOT make changes!
- Entries were selected based on a combination of swimmer availability, how BTC can best maximize team points for the championship, and events the coaches & your swimmer felt s/he should swim.
- We completely understand that life happens, but please try not be be the cause of a relay team being unable to swim - three teammates left standing on the pool deck will be very sad.
- If a swimmer doesn't show up for an event, we also forfeit the fee and the opportunity to let another swimmer compete in that event.
- If you need to discuss your participation with Coach Marisa ...
- Healthy Swimmers
- Swimmers, please stay hydrated, eat well, and get plenty of rest this week!
- Get Excited!
- Posters will be hung at the BTC Tent!
- We will have 'war paint' & hair color spray for all swimmers on Saturday.
- Swimmer must wear a BTC cap! Please get your BTC caps this week during BTC office hours; we will also have an emergency supply at the meet.
- Swimmer should wear BTC Swimsuit if owned.
- Swimmer should were BTC Swm team T-shirt.
- BTC will not be selling goggles - please be sure you have a backup pair; there will also be a vendor selling goggles & other swim gear.
MEET ENTRIES & RESULTS
4:45pm for Home Meets
5:00pm for Away Meets
Please consider 'rush hour' traffic during your planning ...
After the meets, go to Al’s Frys! It’s a CVSL tradition for families to go to Al’s after meets ... younger swimmers can grab an ice cream at the outside window so they don’t stay up too late.
Meet Entries 101 aka why coaches MUST know who is attending a meet 48 hours before the meet!
Marisa Mulligan Cardin email Coach Marisa if making a change more than 48 hours before a meet!
610.952.8060 text or call Coach Marisa if making a change fewer than 48 hours before a meet!
- If you haven't gotten your 2019 BTC Swim Team T-shirt, please be sure to pick it up soon.
- Questions? Please connect with Kelly email@example.com.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about BTC Team Swimsuits!
Info below for reference only!
ONLINE ORDER PROCESS:
Go to Varsity Swim Team Gateway
Team Login: BTC (case sensitive)
Team Password: BARRACUDAS (case sensitive)
- Order will include Shipping Fee
- Some suit sizes may be sold out
If you were not able to attend a try on session, please measure & size your swimmer using:
2019 Female Swimsuit Sizing
2019 Male Swimsuit Sizing
Please contact Kristen for help with special situations email@example.com or (802) 598-0686
* BTC Team Swimsuits are not required, but help promote team unity! Most families get one BTC Team Swimsuit & wash it out between the Tues. & Thurs. meets. Swimmers can wear any competitive swimsuits to practices.
Silicone BTC Swim Caps available for $12.